READY TO VOLUNTEER WITH BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS OF GREATER HALIFAX?
(Looking for a different agency? Click here.)
Our volunteers come from all stages/walks of life – but the one thing they have in common is a desire to offer encouragement and consistent support to a young person.
Read a bit about the volunteering process below, and then complete the inquiry form to get started. One of our Mentoring Coordinators will contact you to guide you through the enrollment process.
Click here to learn more about volunteering.
How The Volunteering Process Works
Volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters is a rewarding experience, and can be flexible to fit your lifestyle. We take great care in the matching process and provide professional support for the duration of the relationship.
The following is a general overview of what you can expect as you go through the volunteer enrollment process with Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Complete an application.
- Submit a vulnerable sector screen, criminal records check, and three references
- Participate in a one-to-one interview with a staff member from the Big Brothers Big Sisters agency
- Depending on the program, we may complete an assessment of your home environment
- Successfully complete an orientation and child safety training
- Notification of acceptance/non-acceptance
- If accepted as a volunteer mentor, sign an agreement of confidentiality
The Matching Process
- The Mentoring Coordinator, now familiar with the volunteer and the children and youth waiting to be matched, discusses a potential match with the volunteer, the child or youth, and, depending on the program, with the family
- The Mentoring Coordinator arranges for a meeting between the child or youth, the volunteer mentor, and the parent or guardian
If everyone agrees, the match can begin!
READY TO VOLUNTEER? Complete the Inquiry Form Below to Get Started.